Training and Support
The Association plays an active role in developing, coordinating and delivering training and providing support for School Councils.
Through AYSCBC, we:
- Develop materials, as well as provide training and information to meet the needs of new and ongoing members. Some topics include:
- Effective Meetings and Working Together
- Know Your Role
- The Role of the Chair
- Principal Recruitment
- Policy Development and Review
- Hiring a Secretary/Treasurer
- Suspension Appeal Hearings
- Your Role in Supporting Student Achievement
- Working with Your Community
- Assist with the planning and preparation of conferences and other events based on the interests from a school council perspective.
- Coordinate and deliver workshops at the semi-annual conferences and to our Members in their school communities on request.
- Set standards for our Members such as a Code of Conduct. One has been adopted for Executive Members and a Policy re: Code of Conduct has been adopted for all Members.
- Circulate information about other relevant professional development opportunities that are happening, both in Yukon and in other places.
- Meet requests for assistance from Members for support and information, including face-to-face meetings and written reports as desired
- Build up resources and ensure their availability for lending to members
- Organize and facilitate opportunities for members to meet to discuss common issues on an occasional basis. These could be issue-focused or regionally-focused.
- Attend learning opportunities provided by other community-based educational organizations in order to maintain requisite level of knowledge and currency in professional development and issues of importance.